NAME OF THE ORGANISATION
University of Western Macedonia (UOWM) – Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering
TYPE OF INSTITUTION
Higher Educational Institute (HEI)
Karamanli and Ligeris, GR-50100
NAME OF CONTACT PERSON
Assistant Professor Aggelos Bouhouras
BRIEF DESCRIPTION OF THE ORGANISATION
The University of Western Macedonia (UOWM) was initially founded in Kozani in 2003. In 2019 the University of Western Macedonia was merged with the Technological Institute of Western Macedonia. In its current form, the University of Western Macedonia operates with 7 Schools and 22 Departments, located in 5 cities of the Region of Western Macedonia. The School list of the University consists of the following: School of Engineering, School of Economic Sciences, School of Fine Arts, School of Agriculture, School of Humanities and Social Sciences, School of Science and School of Health Sciences.
The Department of Electrical and Computer Engineering (ECE) is located in Kozani and belongs to the School of Engineering of UOWM.
ECE is the second department of the School of Engineering of UOWM with one of the most modern technological infrastructures. Since its establishment, the goal of the Department is the promotion of the science and technologies of Informatics, Telecommunications, Electronics but also Circuits and Energy. Through teaching, research and practical application, the Department prepares Engineers with all the necessary equipment to be able to monitor developments in the constantly evolving areas of the subject of Electrical and Computer Engineering.
More specifically, the ECE Department promotes and cultivates knowledge in the following subjects:
• Computer Science
• Software and Systems Technologies
• Signals, Telecommunications and Networks
• Electronics and Electrical Engineering
HOW THE ORGANISATION WILL CONTRIBUTE TO THE DISSEMINATION AND EXPLOITATION OF THE PROJECT RESULTS
UOWM is expected to contribute to the dissemination and exploitation of the project results by the following actions:
• Support the dissemination and exploitation of the activities and results of the project, e.g. upload the project’s leaflet or other kind of dissemination material to the University’s and Department’s website, disseminate via social networks (Linkedin), share the role of associate partner to other meetings, etc..
• Contribute in depicting special needs of the Energy Sector related to the project’s actions.
• Act as a consultant and provide feedback and proposals for appropriate adjustments of the Master Program syllabus and its professional module.
• Facilitate and promote the establishment of dialogue and communication channels with large and small companies in the energy sector that are willing to share technology knowledge and to participate in the project. The UOWM is located in the region of Greece with the highest installed capacity of conventional power plants and the university has strong bounds with the energy sector and collaboration with the Public Power Corporation (PPC) of Greece and the Distribution Network Operator (DNO). Moreover, the region of Western Macedonia is facing the transition to a post-lignite era and several structure and infrastructure changes are planned in close collaboration with the UOWM. Thus, this is an ideal timing for designing and promoting ideas and educational courses regarding innovative trends in the energy sector.